This is a common question for small businesses. Do I invest in my own site? Or pay to be promoted on a bigger site that already has traffic? I understand where the question is coming from, but are we talking money or ego here?
If we’re talking about making as much money as we possibly can, then go for the site that already has traffic. And here’s why:
- Google loves content, and there’s no way you can keep up with the huge amounts of content bigger sites put out a day.
- A sites age is a major factor for search engines because it already has history. It’s been crawled before and the addition of content and links it has are very important.
- The site already has a visitor base, people who are used to the site and consider it their go to when they need information.
- Your competitors are most likely on it, most businesses shay way from ad platforms their competitors are using. The fact is if your competitor is there you should try to be there too.
- And the best part is, it usually much cheaper then promoting your own site.
You can still work on your own site, adding content as you are able to. And allowing the site to age. Right now, focus on getting more money.